Saturday, October 29, 2011

Christians and Paying for Stuff

There were a couple occurrences this last week that stuck out in my mind and that have me mulling. So here's a mull:

One instance was with a guy I met at a party. After talking theology for awhile, we got to discussing different pastors he listens to and I mentioned one who I think is fantastic, but I mentioned that you have to pay for his sermons (something just over a dollar a piece, maybe two). He immediately wrote him off because he believes sermons should be accessible to all, shouldn't charge for them, etc.

The second experience was with some church people at a lunch and a very nice member bough cookies for us all. I gladly accepted a cookie and offered to pay him a dollar or whatever. He politely said it was on him. The girl next to me then explained how at this church they believe what goes around comes around, no need to pay.

In each instance I felt of tinge of a thought that didn't quite agree with both people's assumptions. Also in each instance I didn't say anything in response. Since I do not know them well I can only guess at their assumptions, but in each case I would guess the assumption is Christians shouldn't charge money for things. I can totally understand that perspective. Jesus talked about generosity, the stumbling block of material wealth and the early church as talked about in Acts 2 provides a clear example of shared resources. However, too quickly I think do Christians jump to the conclusion that because money is involved, the person accepting the money is a greedy money grabber doing it solely for his selfish sake.

No doubt that can be true in many cases. However, what about those on the other side? In offering Cookie Man my money, I would like to dignify his expenditure in resources he earned with an expenditure of my own in resources I earned. As for the pastor who charges a small fee for his sermons, the only people who will be buying and listening to his sermons are the ones who want to most and will get the most value out of them. Also, his time is limited and represents an investment, and should be dignified by others placing a representation of their limited resources/investments in his care.

I guess the bottom line is: human dignity, in the full sense of that phrase as talked about in scripture, can be fulfilled through voluntary transactions also known as purchases. Money is not the root of all evil, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. And as Scripture tells us, we can fall into the trap of generosity and giving to the poor, just as easily as the trap of money grabbing or greed. Each can smother our soul if we are not careful to look to Him in all things.

No comments: