Monday, October 24, 2011

The Seasons and Led Zeppelin

As some of you know, Led Zeppelin is definitely my all time, favorite band. Since I started listening to recorded music at 16, they have consistently remained at the top of my list. Sometimes I'll go for half a year or more without listening to them much but I always have returned with renewed appreciation and usually in a totally different way than before. I think the diversity in their music is what makes them amazing and so versatile. You can find any song of theirs to match with a season of life you are in or a particular kind of day you are having. It bugs me when people bill them as Heavy Metal when they never thought of themselves as such and there are only a couple songs, let alone no whole albums, of theirs that could be considered any kind of metal. They are tremendous musicians who made American blues songs their own and didn't release an album of completely original recordings until their fifth album. Age adds appreciation to most everything in life, and I have noticed that with Zeppelin's music in particular lately.

This song, Going to California, has been a song for the last year or so of my life during the periods of transition I've been in. It speaks to me of the real, God given human emotions involved in wandering, love, hope in new beginnings, and of course, California. Plus the guitar work is something you just can't unhear. 

No comments: