Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cooking or Eating Your Money

Yesterday, as I was winding down at work, I felt like eating something else for dinner than my usual frozen fare. So I searched for some easy recipes on the web. No problem.

Saw a recipe for a tasty looking Mexican Lasagna: cheese, taco sauce, chicken, tortillas, cheese, what's not to like? I got stoked. Printed out the menu even so I could go to the store and buy the ingredients.

For those who know me or have read previous blog posts of mine on how much I dislike cooking, this is a huge step. I actually planned to cook and buy ingredients. I felt pretty good about myself.

All went well until I saw that ground cumin was $5.29 a thing. That was a buzzkill. I could buy a whole frozen pizza for that much, no preparation required. So I went to check to how much 2lbs of ground chicken was. That was like $10. Already the price tag was up to $15.29 for ground cumin chicken.

No gracias.

So I ate a frozen pot pie that night.

My experience was an indication to me that 1. there is a high entry cost into good cooking, such as buying a thing of cumin and 2. that utter culinary boredom with heat and eat foods will most likely drive me into actually cooking for myself someday. I will start saving now.


No comments: