Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Presidential Standards

I saw a headline today on Twitter about Romney and how he gave a ridiculous answer to something about moose hunting. It reminded me of how people often get down on presidential gaffs. Candidates and presidents do say some silly things, I do not deny that. What I have issue with is our attitude toward them.

We Americans want our presidents to be men of the people, but completely flawless, all at the same time. So in other words, not really men. More like perfect angels. But not too perfect! Because then you end up with Romney Syndrome: your good looks/demeanor prove to be a detriment.

Inconsistent standards, I say.

Along those lines, I thought there was gross overreaction to Perry's gaff when he couldn't name all the agencies he'd eliminate. People called him an idiot and that forever stigmatized his campaign. Maybe he really is dumb, I'm not sure. I just know a little more about the atmosphere those men and women are in when they run for president is non-stop and incredibly high pressure. Candidates are rehearsed for hours on all the possible answers they can give in a debate. Lapses in memory are excusable, I think.

Also, from what I know of myself, if someone like the media were recording my words like they record for the candidates and presidents, I would look like an idiot. Statistics point to stupid things inevitably being said, just from sheer volume. So the Romney and moose thing, sure, it sounded stupid. However, he is a human being who will inevitably say dumb things. I wish for our president to be very intelligent, like anyone, but for us all to have a far more realistic attitude toward those flubs in language we are all prone to make.

No comments: