Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Barack got it

Dudes, this is exciting stuff. Barack Obama is number 44. My feelings are mixed, because I think his policies are screwy and the foundation of his election is based upon guesswork and the myriad campaign slogans. If McCain had won though, DC would have gone nuts (93% voted for Obama), things would probably have been burned. Also, it will be fun and slightly mellowing to be associated with the party not in power. Instead of having to put up with the wrath we can just say Hey, it's your time now. The first black president is pretty sweet too, I think that means a lot. It will be a fascinating four years.

I had some good times on election night. I attended an event at the Cato Institute with author Gene Healy speaking on his book the Cult of the Presidency and making a few comments regarding the election that got the libertarian crowd cheering. I bought the book and have already read the introduction. It's very good. The author speaks of the way in which the presidency has been entirely overblown from what it was meant to be and I wholly agree. Presidents nowadays are expected to be, according to Cliton Rossiter, "a combination of scoutmaster, Delphic oracle, hero of the silver screen, and father of the multitudes. Also: World Leader, Protector of the Peace, Chief Legislator, Manager of Prosperity and Voice of the People." Taft in a 1912 campaign speech said the president can't cause the sun to shine, the rain to fall or whatever else good you want to happen (I paraphrase). He lost that election, but he spoke the truth, I think. This huge amount of expectation channels more power to the executive branch and provides for huge dissapointment. Just some thoughts.
While at Cato, I also had the experience of possibly being hit on by an older guy. He just seemed WAY to eager to give me his card and remember my name, despite the fact . He may be reading this right now. After Cato, I went on over to the National Taxpayer's Union in old town Alexandria for their election party, had some good food, chatted it up with other limited government types and watched some of the results come in. One of the ASP professors lives in that area, so I called him up and we went and got burgers while talking about business and vision. By the time I made it back to the apartment, Obama had been projected winner. It was decided way quicker than I thought it would be, for sure. All in all though, it was a fun night and other than the fact I didn't go to the impromtu party in front of the White House, I felt like I took advantage of some unique DC experiences.

2 comments:

annie.marie.dimond. said...

i'm really excited that you got to be there and experience it all in the midst of the hubbub. Can't wait to see you my friend!

Unknown said...

That book sounds good. I think that if the founding fathers' saw what American Government was like today they would croak. Its awesome you got to do your internship during an election year. Wasn't the other time you were in DC when Bush was inaugurated for his second term?