Monday, November 24, 2008

My Habits

Last night, I bought a bunch of pizza with some friends, purposefully ordering a mess of it so there would be leftovers. I had about 3/4 of a large after all was said and done. I paid for the part I kept, of course. We taxed according to consumption at $1.25 a slice.

This occurs in the setting of the funk I am in right now of being hungry and nearly out of food here in the apartment, combined with a busy schedule and feeling of it's-too-much-work-to-go-get-food.

Thus, for the last 24 hours, I have subsisted on the leftover pizza and one helping of leftover green-bean casserole I found in the fridge that was up for grabs. Pistachios as well. I've been eating lots of those.

I straight up do not enjoy cooking, dudes. There is a mess, you have to plan ahead, get all the junk you need and then you have to wait. I merely need to hold out until Thursday-Sunday festivities where there is plenty to be found.

All this being said, I am doing some soul searching about my own laziness, what Proverbs has to say about sloth and starving, is this just a temporary phase I am going through, what will I do later on in life, etc.

Good times.

UPDATE: I bought groceries last night. Things are improving.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You've just got to get into cooking- consider it an art, then all the mes is worth it. This of course is coming from a man who hasn't cleaned dishes in ages and cannot currently sympathize, but maybe it will help.

annie.marie.dimond. said...

I'll cook for you over christmas. just you wait.

Marcia Goller said...

You have already solved your own dilemma. In the previous blog - simply apply what you have learned in business to your own life, in the paragraph that starts, "What he states..." ;-)

Elena Forsythe said...

Don't worry--it gets better. After you develop an instinct for what tastes good together, you can just throw things together willy nilly and not so much planning is required. As for mess, that's just life I suppose, but also easy to delegate to roommates (or kids eventually).

As for alternatives: if you ever have enough money you could always hire a live-in cook. Or move within walking distance of a Chipotle. Or find a roommate who went to culinary school... as you can see, you have lots of options to consider before starvation becomes a legitimate fear.

That said, enjoy your Thanksgiving.

sarahedmondson said...

commenting on Elena's post, other options also include buying a dishwasher, or maybe if you're lucky, you'll find a wife who won't mind cooking and dishes. that'll probably mean you have to pick up the slack in other areas, so get ready to change a lot of diapers, take out the trash, clean the bathroom, etc. just look at cooking as an adventure- it's like climbing a mountain. there's always potential for disaster, but if you do things right, the view (or taste) at the end, is well worth it. one more quick option for now- tv dinners. just pop them in the microwave and throw the plate away when you're done. sure it's american consumerism at its best, but it means you won't starve.