Thursday, September 11, 2008

Last day for awhile at Martha's Table today. We made another 900 sandwiches. Rock and roll.

Finished up the first paper today as well for our class.

Went for a walk to check in at the Family Research Council convention here in the city. I got off at the DuPont Circle metro stop, got turned around and ended up walking to the White House, the opposite direction I wanted to go. I was ticked. But at least I saw the White House. It was kind of trippy coming up on it, because I really didn't know where I was. But I saw some lights in the distance and was like Is that the White House? No, can't be! It was though. Feeling like an idiot, I took in the sights and then grumbled all the way back up Connecticut. Finally, I made it to the hotel, saw some friends, checked in, got my bag of goodies. Should be a good conference. Opinion time: I like the philosophy of the FRC, but they really turn a lot of people off to their message. They come across as a bunch of angry conservatives soap boxing it. One lady I met tonight thought her soap box would get bigger as a result of the conference and felt sorry for her kids. Why do we need to kick it on soap boxes? Let's reasonably, patiently, lovingly approach those we don't agree with, doing more listening than shouting, seeking the truth God has placed before us in His creation. However, that's not a shout out for open minded, whatever, let's-frolick-through-the-field type outlook. There is objective truth. Let's go find it.

Anyway, the conference should be a good time. Mitt Romney is speaking at it tomorrow and I plan to go to that session. John McCain may also make a surprise visit, Obama too, on Saturday. If that happens, it'll be a candidate filled week indeed.

PS-I am living on 8th Street, NE in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, for those wondering.

1 comment:

STAQRES said...

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the culture and content of this conference. I really enjoy reading your stuff.