Friday, October 3, 2008

Failure #2

That last post of mine sounds horrendously heartless. I realized that last night when I was watching a documentary on hypocrisy (I'll mention it later). What's the Christian's role in all the evolution of the market?
Protecting people's life, liberty and property is the realm of government, I believe. In a market system there will be people who lose their jobs and those who are left out of it from the get go. Compassion and character are so important in order for good to be done to its greatest potential. Christ also calls us to be generous with our resources in helping the poor and disenfranchised. An integral part of that, I think, is affirming people's dignity as God's special creation. So much of Christian ministry and philanthropy as a whole, necessitates a relationship in order to best help people from where they are at. I envision this whole scene of Christian relationship with the world not as a "We're up here, let us reach down and pull you up" but as reaching across, at the same level, and saying "He will lift you up."

Just my evolving thoughts

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"He will life you up." I'm fairly certain you meant "lift", and while it is a typo, it's a dang good one.

tbarkley said...

haha, thanks Ben!