Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'll take a break from the boring economic posts I keep doing and focus here on what I have been up to. (Which you may find equally as boring).

I have found a church I enjoy! It is called Grace DC and I heard about it through a friend of a friend back in CA. The sermons are engaging, applicable and well thought out. One of the newer aspects to me is the weekly communion. It's also a different communion from ones I have been to in that they have a choice of drinks: grape juice in an individual cup, wine in an individual cup or wine from a communal cup. The service is also at 5PM which does the sleep department well.

We began a new course on Monday, focusing our attention on International Affairs. Our main project will be examining trade relationship with the US from the perspective of a respective country we chose to research. I chose Iran. Rock and roll.

At my Tuesday internship class, there was a beautiful presentation on taxes. It was amazing. They also got cheesecake for my birthday. I felt especially loved.

These days at ALEC, I have been calling our legislative members to see if they plan to attend our Tax Academy in December. It hasn't been too bad, I sometimes get to talk with the legislators. Other than that, I do spreadsheets, research things and write a little.

Okay, I just can't resist.

You can make a lot of money off of cigarette tax differences between states. Of course, it's illegal, but check this out:
Cigarette tax in Maryland is $2 while the tax per pack is $.30 in Virginia. If you load up your trunk with 300 cartons of cigarettes from VA and take them to MD to sell, you can make $5100 just from the tax difference. State to state cigarette smuggling, never would have thought of it.

1 comment:

sarahedmondson said...

Taylor, thanks for making the happenings in DC interesting to the rest of us back in Upland. Your posts on your life are interesting, as are your posts on internship related stuff, even if I don't always understand it. I hope your birthday is glorious, even though we won't get to celebrate it in person. Maybe we'll have a party in January after you return. Oh, and I went to Los Nopales with my roommate the other day- it was delicious, as usual. Hope you're well, friend!